Speaking Events (updated 3 November 2018):
During the course of 2017, I gave 16 talks relating to Sevastopol’s Wars, which were all well received. Please see my news posts for reports on these talks, not least the final one of 2017!
Should you be interested in inviting me to speak at your event, please do not hesitate to contact me or, if the event relates specifically to my book on Sevastopol’s Wars, Emily Heagerty at my publishers Osprey.
Please note all details of speaking events may be subject to change and I recommend that you confirm them with the sponsor/venue concerned before making any arrangements to attend.
November 2018 Lecture Tour
- Wednesday, 7 November 2018. Evening talk on ‘Sevastopol: Forgotten City of the First World War’ at Tonbridge School as part of the First World War Talks series – details at https://en-gb.facebook.com/events/248845592513884/
- Thursday, 8 November 2018. After dinner talk (to invited members only) on ‘The Royal Engineers at Sevastopol’ for the Friends of the Royal Monmouthshire Militia Royal Engineers Castle and Museum
- Monday, 12 November 2018. Evening talk to Gordon’s School on ‘Gordon and the Russians: Follow the Sapper’. Details will be promulgated soon by the school under Insight Talks.
- Wednesday, 14 November 2018. Evening book presentation and talk to the Cambridge Russian Speaking Society – see the details here.
2017 Speaking Events:
- Monday, 30 January 2017: Pre-dinner talk to the Honourable Artillery Company Historical Society, Armoury House, London.
- Thursday, 20 April 2017: After dinner talk at the Caledonian Society of London.
- Wednesday, 26 April 2017: Respondent at a dinner held by the United Kingdom Defence Forum in the Palace of Westminster.
- Thursday, 25 May 2017: Lunch time seminar at the Institute for Statecraft, London.
- Thursday, 1 June 2017 : Late afternoon seminar at the Sir Michael Howard Centre for the History of War, King’s College London.
- Monday, 5 – Tuesday, 6 June 2017: Baltic lecture tour to Estonia and Latvia, including talks at the Baltic Defence College at Tartu and the National Defence Academy of Latvia, Riga.
- Wednesday, 28 June 2017: Late afternoon talk at the Prince Consort’s Library, Aldershot.
- Thursday, 13 July 2017: Presentation at the Geological Society’s conference entitled ‘Sharing an Uncertain World: Lessons in Managing Risk’ – for details, follow this link. My title was ‘Military Risks: the Paradoxes of Likelihood, Proximity and Deniability’.
- Wednesday, 26 July 2017: Lunch time talk at the Royal United Services Institute, London. This was a members-only event but there were a few guest places available on application to me.
- Saturday, 16 September: Presentation of the 4th Burgoyne Annual Lecture, Royal School of Military Engineering, Chatham (an invitation only event during the Corps of Royal Engineers Memorial Weekend).
- Saturday, 21 October 2017: Presentation of a paper at the 6th Russian Conference, Moffat.
- Saturday, 11 November 2017: Talk to the West Sussex History of Medicine Society, Chichester.
- Friday, 24 November 2017: Late morning talk at the National Army Museum, London.
- Monday, 27 November 2017: Evening talk to the Special Forces Club, London.
- Monday, 11 December 2017: Evening talk to the Great Britain – Russia Society, London. Details are here.
- Thursday, 14 December 2017: Evening lecture as part of the Keele World Affairs series, Keele.